How To Install ADB on Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP
This guide is designed to help you install the Advanced Debug Bridge (ADB) on Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP. In the past it used to be quite tricky to get ADB installed but thesedays it is pretty straightforward!
First up, download the pre-requisite files and step below;
When you have both of the files, install Koush’s superb Universal ADB Driver to your system. This is an all-in-one driver which should make pretty much any of your Android devices work with ADB.
Once that has installed, extract the ADB Package to a location you can remember, such as your Desktop. You should have a folder called “Android” with other files inside.
- Double-click on My Computer and open the C:/ drive (or where you have installed Windows).
- Copy the “Android” folder to the C:/ drive
- Right-click on My Computer, then click on Properties. Click on the Advanced system settings and then the Advanced tab at the top. Click on Environmental Values
- On the Environmental Values window, go to the System Variables part near the bottom and look for the variable called Path. You will have to scroll down to find it. Click on the Path variable and then click on the Edit button.
- Now a new window will appear. Under the Variable value section, scroll to the end of the line and add a semicolon (;). Now type in the location of the Android folder that we moved earlier.
Press OK to all the windows to accept the changes.
Now you can open a Command Prompt window to test ADB. There are multiple ways to do open a Command Prompt but the most uniform way across Windows XP to 8 is to do this;
- Hold the WINDOWS key down and press R (WIN+R = Run command)
- You should see a Run window pop up. Type in cmd and press Enter
Plug in your Android device via USB and ensure USB Debugging is enabled.
In the Command Prompt window type in:
You should then see a list of devices attached which will be in a form of a serial number.
Congratulations! You have now installed a working ADB environment on your Windows computer. If there are any issues, feel free to comment on the post below.